Did you – like me – fall prey to the skillful marketing folks at Wilton? They had these cookie shape pans on sale at Target, Walmart, and elsewhere. Yes I bought them. Yes I was frustrated because they didn’t carry any instructions or even tips. Yes I was downright irritated that my first batch was awful. They overflowed the shape and were uncooked in the centers. I was disgusted with the whole thing. But since I am not the type to give up easily, I tried again.
So, in case you – like me – want to use these pans to spite Wilton, here are a few pointers. I used Pillsbury gingerbread dough, for no particular reason, just what I had on hand. The large batch of dough made about 36 cookies. Good luck!
1. bring your dough to room temperature if it’s refrigerated.
2. take a bit of dough, enough to make a 1″ ball, and make a ball.
3. press the dough ball into the center of the shape, then work outward into the nooks and crannies of the design. For the more oblong shapes, make a log out of the dough, the do the same as with the ball.
4. the dough should not fill the entire shape to the top. It needs room to expand, so fill it no more than 3/4 full.
5. bake as per your recipe’s instructions.
6. let cool 2-3 minutes after baking before trying to get them out of the pan. I had to use my fingernail to loosen the cookies.
7. once cooled, decorate. I used Betty Crocker Cookie Icing.
I may never use these pans again, but Wilton did not win! I successfully made cookies with their pans, and although they look nothing like the cookie examples on the Wilton site, they tasted fantastic. So there. :-)
2 thoughts on “Using the Wilton Cookie Shape Pans Successfully”
Just remember that the cookies on the Wilton site are made by professional bakers. The cookies made in your kitchen are made with love. A HUGE difference.
I was also shocked to discover no recipes or instructions on these pans. Checked out the Wilton site and hated it. Thank you for these tips, my daughter and nieces loved decorating these cookies. Not sure how they would have turned out otherwise. I used Domino Sugar Soft Cookie recipe and they were delicious. Thanks again.