My friend Mary Beth over at Because I Said So awarded me with the Honest Scrap. I’m not completely sure what an Honest Scrap is, but I will take the award with pleasure. I strive for honesty in my life, because lies are just so confusing. Really, if you don’t tell the same lie all the time, you forget who you told the lie and who you told the truth, and heaven forbid your friends should start comparing notes and realize that you either lied to one or to the other. Even worse is when you lie to yourself! I know of someone who put her relationship status on MySpace as “married” but told someone else over the phone that she is not married and doesn’t want to be. Somewhere in all that, she is telling herself a big fat lie, don’t you think?
So, on to the Honest Scrap award. Like I said, being as this does not have a definition that I have been able to find, I believe it is open to my interpratation. So, I am taking this little scrap of html as an endorsement that I represent myself truthfully, as a modern woman, wife and mother, who is doing her best and is not afraid to admit she doesn’t know what she is doing at times. Mary Beth has gotten to know me over the past 2 1/2 years through our blogs and other online ventures. I think of her as the defacto “know it all” in mothering since she has three children – all hale and hearty – who seem to be thriving quite well and without regard to allergic reactions to nuts, serious illnesses, school woes, birthday party fiascos and the various and sundry injuries (real or perceived) that come with childhood. Thank you Mary Beth for setting the bar firmly in the middle, not so low that just anyone can succeed, yet not so high that we newbie moms cannot. Kisses!
Here are the rules for this award:
a) List 10 honest things about yourself – and make it interesting, even if you have to dig deep! and
b) Pass the award on to 7 bloggers that you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap.
- I love historical clothing and dressing up in 19th century finery with my friends. My husband thinks this is geeky and worries I’ll taint Melody. I do it anyway.
- I am 6 feet tall and wear a size 10 narrow shoe. (That’s two things really)
- When I was little I wanted to grow up to be my mom.
- When I was in kindergarten or maybe the first grade I told everyone my dad was a firefighter because I couldn’t explain in my child’s vocabulary that I thought he was the most heroic person ever.
- When I was 3, my family lived through the Sylmar earthquake (6.6 on the Richter scale). We lived in Pasadena, which is quite close to Sylmar and the shaking was bad. I thought my dad was shaking the house.
- I could live the rest of my life without hearing rap or hip hop music ever again.
- I wanted to be married by the time I was 22 and have children by the time I was 30. I got married at 35 and had Melody at 38. Funny how life turns out.
- I’m afraid I won’t live long enough to celebrate my 50th wedding anniversary. (Only 45 to go!!)
- Trader Joe’s is hand’s down the finest grocery establishment I have ever set foot in.
- John can make this funny little sound that absolutely creeps me out. It’s stupid but it’s almost like a laser beam is coming toward me and I can’t stand it! If he makes the sound there is a good liklihood I am going to hit him.
And now, I pass this award on to these fine blogging ladies:
Suzanne at Alive In Wonderland
Cat at The Cat’s Pajamas
Emily at The Anderson Trio
Marcy at The Glamorous Life Association
I hate to say that I don’t have three more bloggers who I know well enough to honor. See, Mary Beth honored all the other bloggers I know well, and Auntie Tara doesn’t have a blog, so I can’t honor her, although I feel she embodies the notion of the Honest Scrap! Ah well, ladies, if you’ve received the award here, please try to pass it on to seven bloggers like the rules say.
PS Dad updated the blog editor for me and I love it! I can put in pictures now, woo hoo! Thank you Dad!!!!!